In the South East area of England, Winston’s Wish recently held a series of groups for young people. Five young people came together to create our South East Youth Forum. The forum met regularly to discuss what worked for them, their experiences and to create content to be shared online to help other young people.
This blog post will explore some of the things they found helpful when they were bereaved.
- Having people to talk to
- Receiving advice
- Spending time with animals
- Dancing took my mind off what happened
- Listening to music
- Going horseriding
- Playing sport
- Getting support from my friends
- Talking to my family
- Still talking about the people that have died
- Supportive friends
- Family continue to be there for me and talking to each other
- Doing things I enjoy – hobbies
- Having someone there to talk to
- Knowing that people are there if I need them
- Doing fun things
- Knowing that I can leave the classroom if I need to
- Not have to worry about exams or serious stuff
- Music can change my mood
- I enjoyed watching YouTube videos – it gives me something to watch
We’d love to hear about what helps you after a bereavement. Let us know in the comments below.